Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Kids Clothes Week Challenge

A couple times a year I attempt to sew along with Meg for Kids Clothes Week (aka KCW). I've loved Meg's blog many years now and I can always use the motivation to get cracking on the girly's clothes. I did manage to finish a few items this year in spite of feeling like I spent more time with my seam ripper than with my sewing machine. An added bonus is that I've finally started using some of the Oliver + S patterns I pay so much money for just to have sit on my shelf looking pretty.

The first things I completed was the Oliver+S Sailboat top which is actually a rather easy top if you aren't attempting to make it while utterly exhausted and sleep deprived. If, like me, you are trying to make it at 11:00pm after spending 10 hours with the hobbits then you may find it mind boggling....

For me, once I realized that the front and back are the same (with the buttons always being on the wearer's left shoulder when in the front) it was easier to wrap my head around. I have the After School pants cut out but they will have to wait until another day. I paired this top with a Goodwill skirt and some leggings we got super cheap at The Children's Place. I love pink polka dots. Reggie felt the outfit called for tall brown boots. That girl has a lot of opinions regarding shoes.



It was such a gorgeous day we walked by our sweet Neighbors' fish pond to see if the fish had woken up in time for Spring.



She found herself a rock.


Back view.

The fabric I used is by Aneela Hoey (LOVE HER) and is from the Sherbet Pips line. You can't tell too well in these pictures but the fabric has little puppies and mice running across it.

I will note that this pattern runs short and somewhat wide in my opinion. You need a little width to get it on and off since woven fabric doesn't stretch much but next time I make it I may go down a size but add several inches of length to the bottom since when Reggie lifts her hands you get a full on tummy view. Yes, teeny tiny toddler tummies are so squishy and cute but perhaps a little more coverage would be nice.


0 comments :

Post a Comment