Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Word on Festivals

As I read, study, investigate and ponder the gentle daily rhythm I am trying to foster with my Naughty Hobbits my mind has turned from the smaller picture (which is our daily rhythm) to the larger picture of our yearly rhythm. What festivals, celebrations and holidays shall we include and observe? How should we honor and celebrate them and what can I do to put them on a level that the Hobbits can relate to?

I've been reading the books Festivals, Family and Food (A Guide to Seasonal Celebration) By Diana Carey and Judy Large and Festivals Together (A Seasonal Guide to Multi-Cultural Celebration) By Sue Fitzjohn, Minda Weston and Judy Large. Both books are by Hawthorne Press.


We have decided to add Whitsunday, The Feast of St. John the Baptist, Michaelmas and Martinmas to our yearly celebrations. We'll also start observing the changing of the earth and seasons as well. We want to honor and praise God for the glory of His creation. As I write out our calendar I'm excited about the things we'll talk about, eat and create. Of course 3 out of 4 Hobbits will celebrate their birthdays in September as well.


These are just a few of the many thoughts flitting through my mind at the moment. I'm sure we'll revisit this conversation soon.


Please feel free to add any thoughts, ideas or suggestions in the comments.

0 comments :

Post a Comment